[RE-wrenches] ice accumulation

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 09:55:16 PDT 2008

Greetings from ice-free southern California,

Interesting string. I have only heard of 2 ways to deal with ice and snow on
PV arrays: manual removal and waiting for the ice to melt.

I think that sending current backwards through solar modules probably voids
the warranty.

I had a Bertoia custom-made wind generator with three 8-ft blades when I
lived in the Ozarks. During a windless night, ice accumulated on the
downward pointing blade and on the manual brake. In the morning the wind
started and I was awakened by the sound of the out-of-balance blades.
Wrestling and tying down the icy blades was the next-to-last time that I
climbed a wingcharger tower. The last time was to remove that wind machine
and switch to PV. Nevertheless, wind machines are used in icy locations.
See http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2152962376_2091c3d7da_o.jpg
and http://www.yara.ca/rhjbbwg.jpg
and http://www.puddingbowl.org/iceblog/archives/108-0850_IMG-thumb.JPG
and http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dETgVrbG7cnz/610x.jpg
and http://simonc.f2o.org/south/images/wind_generator.jpg
and
http://www.bobzook.com/pix/Loading%20stuff%20ontop%20of%20the%20Ice%20Core%20frezer-%20next%20in%20line%20is%20the%20bunk%20house%20then%20the%20kitchen.jpg
and http://the.earth.li/~alex/halley/img/DSC_8611.JPG

Happy Summertime,
Joel Davidson
see nearby ice-free solar powered ferris wheel at
http://www.californiasolarcenter.org/photovoltaics_photogallery.html