[RE-wrenches] ice accumulation

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 07:41:08 PDT 2008

Hi Roger, It looks like you and I are the only early risers this morning.
You are 100% correct, I have very limited exposure to good wind
applications. There are at least couple of high profile installations here
in Saint Louis that are textbook examples of how not to do it. And to add
insult to injury, LEED awarded a platinum rating to one of these building
based (at least in part) on the points this very visible but almost
ineffective wind application provided.

My inappropriately applied experience regarding rotors stems from the rotor
being powered from the hub rather than extracting power from the airstream.
Two different situations that I will not knowingly confuse in the future.
Thanks for the time and effort in explaining the error of my ways.

This leads to another issue with the new division of the wrench list into
solar and wind divisions. Unless someone is properly versed in both those
technologies, and accordingly subscribes to both those lists, there might
not be the very interface we are having now and the opportunity to correct
some "common misconceptions". Of course you wind guys won't have to wade
through the foibles of solar electric much less solar thermal.

Best,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094