Poor PV Manufacturers' Customer Support (Was BP 3160 module line failures) [RE-w

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 22 17:42:52 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Bad modules happen and BP, Kyocera, Sanyo and other manufacturers replace
their bad modules and life goes on, but PV manufacturers' customer service
is still very immature. Customers expect quality service and contractors who
are not responsive to end-user customers' needs get a bad reputation and
lose business. Not so with PV module manufacturers because module demand is
growing so rapidly that manufacturers can abuse and abandon customers and
still expand their sales revenue. Resellers (distributors, integrators,
contractors, retailers) have little influence as manufacturers jump from
market to market and to new resellers. Even reports of bad modules made by
Sanyo, Kyocera, BP, and other manufacturers do not affect those companies'
sales growth which only reinforces their bad behavior of abandoning and
poorly serving long-time customers (who helped them get started in the
market in the first place). If you stop buying from a bad supplier, two or
more new customers jump in line. Is there a remedy to this poor customer
service problem or is this just a condition that resellers must accept until
the supply/demand situation switches in favor of the customer?

Joel Davidson