PV / thermal hybrid panels [RE-wrenches]

troy taharvey at heliocentric.org
Sun Jun 15 13:35:06 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

I haven't worked with sundrum, but I have done performance forensics
on a Dawn solar system and been involved with another PVT system.
Compared to glazed systems these systems can perform very poorly. In
the case of the Dawn solar system, it performs very poorly even
compared to unglazed collectors (1/8 the efficiency with a steep
efficiency decline).

The key issue is the adsorption and emissivity of these surfaces.
Unless they are coating the PV glass with a Low-E coating, its not
going to be great. A typical NOCT for a PV panel is 113°F under FULL
sun (1000 W/m^2) and 77°F outdoor temp. Obviously not too hot, even in
good conditions. While they produce lots of BTUs, they often don't
produce it at a useful temperature. In the winter at most locales, the
production will practically be zero, unless you can have large preheat
tank for the 60-70°F water that you'll make. In the summer they can
produce a good bit of moderate temperature water. The question is is
it cheap enough to make it worthwhile?

Troy Harvey
Heliocentric
801-453-9434