XW6048 running a 1HP pump? [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Jun 9 11:37:10 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

I've never gotten great surge measurements: the faster the meter the
higher the surge measurement. Its possible to have a surge with grid
power that is extremely high, but it is less than a millisecond. Its
better to consider the whole surge over time, say the first 5
seconds. THe real question becomes how does the motor surge profile
fit with the inverter's surge profile? A pump that surges (like you
said) to 11 times its run watts on grid can still start on a smallish
generator, because the generator voltage will sag for a few seconds
on start up, which lowers the current surge of the pump. (its also
hard on the pump) Outback inverters do roughly the same thing: they
will max out their current for 5 seconds and allow the voltage to sag.
So you don't actually have to match the surge requirements that you
might measure on grid.
It gets down to real field experience. I found for instance that the
SW4024 will out surge an SW5548, even though it shouldn't.
That was due to slight differences in the inverter programming. I'm
not familiar with XW and how it behaves with an inductive starting load.

Ray Walters

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com