mixing valves on SHW systems with gas backup [RE-wrenches]

Karl Schwingel karl at northwindrenewable.com
Fri May 9 20:00:10 PDT 2008

Davis,

What I've heard is that you run the risk of tripping the overthermal
protection in the gas water heater if you should on a hot summer day run 190
deg water into the bottom of the tank.  Of course you don't realize it till
months or weeks later when there's no solar preheated water and you get the
call that "my water heater doesn't work"

I've never put a mixing valve on the preheat tank, and have only seen it
done when you want to keep the tank at a high temp (such as when you're
pulling water off for a space heat loop.  However, I'm working mostly around
electric water heaters.

Is this forum open to thermal questions too? All I've seen so far has been
PV related.

Karl Schwingel
Nabcep Certified Thermal Installer

NorthWind Renewable Energy