point of connection [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri May 2 11:27:53 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Larry:

There is no inherent limitation on the supply-side option.  As you have
correctly surmised, the 2 SB5000 inverters create an output that exceeds
the allowance in 690.64B.  The breaker rating is not the factor, the Max AC
amps rating (20.8 AAC) from the manufacturer is.

Section 690.64A allows a supply side connection.  This point of connection
must be between the meter and the service disconnecting means.  This is not
always easily accomplished.  When accomplished, we use the tap rule
(430.28).  When designing this, choose a breaker panel to combine your
inverter AC feeds that has a large enough bus rating and connect it to the
tap with over-current protection that is less than the bus rating.  This
gives you the allowance to connect your inverters.

Our web site has a spreadsheet you can use to check your
calculations:  http://mpandc.com/resources/resources.html

Thanks,

William Miller

PS:  I am not sure what you mean by a "feed through" panel.  Could you
describe this device?

WM

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php