Low voltage Air Conditioning [RE-wrenches]

Chris Meier chrism at unirac.com
Mon Apr 21 12:15:26 PDT 2008

	This seems like a good way to do it. I would look closer at the
BTU requirements. 20,000 Btu is a 1 1/2 tons of AC. It would feel like a
meet locker in most sleepers and sound like a turbine. Unless the out
side air temp is 160 to 180 degrees. Most sleepers are insulated for
sound reasons and are sealed from air leakage. By my calcs the heat gain
in the Nevada desert would be 1/4 ton or 3000 BTU (very Conservative).
Because the truck has AC you would be able to drop this more if the new
AC unit is expected to maintain the temp after the truck is turned off.
If you want the new AC unit to pull down the temp say 100 degrees to 70
degrees without the use of the trucks AC a 3000 BTU unit would be fine
but over kill once the design temp has been meet.
	From my driving days I would rather use the truck and AC unit to
pull it down then turn the truck off and let the unit maintain the temp.
This would mean less airflow so less sound for the driver to get use to.

	I am not up on DC units but I think small camper roof top units
are DC and would be more in line on the power consumption side.

Chris Meier

Product Manager

UniRac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Blvd. NE

Albuquerque, NM   87102-1545

Ph:  505-242-6411

Fx:  505-242-6412

Email:  chrism at unirac.com

Web:   http://www.unirac.com

This message contains confidential and privileged information, which is
intended for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  It should not
be reviewed, retransmitted, disseminated, or otherwise used by a
person(s) or entities other than the intended recipient.  If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from your computer system(s).