Solectria Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 11 19:01:15 PDT 2008

Hi Drake. (full disclosure: I work for DC Power who distributes Solectria
and other brands of inverters.) That said, I really like Solectria and
worked to bring them to the west coast. I had some experience with them
years ago when they were making the absolutely finest 3-phase electric
vehicle controls and drives. You may have noticed we're not all driving
electrics (yet), so Solectria turned their expertise to something they could
sell. From the vehicle biz they learned to make compact, ruggedized, highly
dependable control packages. Their 60, 82, and 95kW units all use the same
electronic control cassette that contains all the chips and software. It's
got 4 bolts and 5 wire connectors to replace it, which can be done in under
an hour. Nice serviceability! No guessing which board is bad, they just all
get replaced and the bad chip gets sorted out back at the factory. Up until
a couple years ago they had lousy CEC efficiency numbers. They've cleaned up
their software and learned to play the efficiency tests so they're right up
there in the 95 to 95.5% range. They offer a full range of combiners and
sub-combiners for ease of installation, and Fat Spaniel components can be
pre-installed at the factory. We've sold quite a number of them over the
past couple years. Installation, performance, and satisfaction have been
good. Delivery time is usually 4-6 weeks, better than the competition
usually manages. Please note that my comments concern the 13kW and larger
Solectria inverters. I've no experience with the little 1800 and 2500 watt
residential units. (Not so good CEC numbers on those.)

Cheers,
Doug Pratt