s!5 Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Aaron Wellendorf Aaron at stellarenergy.com
Wed Mar 26 10:14:31 PDT 2008

Jeff Clearwater wrote:
<c)  Place your S5s on top of clips.  Be sure to determine your on
<centers for S5s from uplift as well as point loading from combined
<wind and snow.

Jeff,

I have previously discussed S5 placement with a professional metal
roofer. He said definitely do NOT put the S5 clamps on locations where
they compress/lock the roofing clips to the metal standing seams. The
roofing clips are designed to allow the metal roof seam to slide under
the clip to allow for expansion and contraction with temperature
changes. The metal panels are secured at the top OR bottom of the roof
and allowed to move in one direction. Locking the roofing clips to the
roof metal with an S5 clamp may cause the expanding/contracting roof
metal to buckle, or more likely to fatigue (or possibly tear off) the
roof clips from the movement over time. I have worked on metal roofs
with pans that are over 70 feet long in a single piece. This will expand
and contract a significant amount. Therefore, place the S5 clamps within
a couple inches of the roof clips but not directly over them.

There may be some anomalies for this on all-metal buildings, certain
types of standing seams, etc., so your suggestion to run it by an
engineer is the preferred way to limit your liability.

Aaron Wellendorf

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com