need 24 volt applinaces [RE-wrenches]

Dan Fink danbob at otherpower.com
Mon Mar 24 09:38:42 PDT 2008

I'm also a fan of microinverters. You used to be able to get quite a bit
of 'stuff' in 24VDC because it is what over-the-road trucks use, but now
most truckers use microinverters.

Just be careful in your selection -- many 'portable' inverters will fry
if you connect them via the outlets in the front panel to a home or
cabin-type breaker box that has ground bonded to neutral. The tricky
part for the installer is that the inverter may last a few weeks, a few
months, etc. until suddenly, ZAP -- it's permanently ruined, usually
when the client turned on something large, like a microwave.

You can usually read at least 9vac+ of leakage on the ground wire in
these portable inverters when wired to a breaker box, sometimes enough
to give you quite a poke on the bare wire, a very nasty surprise.

Solutions: 1) get a inverter that has hard wired terminals for AC output
in addition to front panel outlets. Highly recommended. 2) Isolate the
neutral and ground in the breaker box (get rid of the bonding). I've
done this for a client who burnt thru 3 portable inverters (vector,
whistler, cobra) before he called me in despair. I warned him that this
quick fix wasn't particularly safe from a shock hazard perspective, but
he said "Just make the #$&^#&$^ thing work!" so I did.

DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php