AC coupling [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Mar 14 15:13:59 PDT 2008

Drake -

We (OutBack) have had good success with AC coupling our inverters with a
wide variety of battery-less grid-tie inverters - including PV Powered.
We are at the point where we are pretty comfortable with just saying
that it will work fine - give it a try...

The only issue I have seen on a PV Powered AC coupled system was the
interaction of their anti-islanding scheme with the voltage regulation
of the VFX inverter causing a slight flicker on some of the lights.  It
was tolerable - and was less of an issue when other loads were
operating.  The customer found it to be slightly irritating but
acceptable.

I am not sure if the newer PV Powered models still use the same old
anti-islanding scheme they used before. With other inverters (SMA,
Magnetic, Fronius, etc.) we did not see this problem occur.

Like with all AC coupled systems utilizing OutBack inverters - you will
need to provide an additional mechanical relay or solid state relay
controlled by our AUX output to manage the power once the battery gets
full.  This can be done in a variety of ways - let me know if you need
any assistance with deciding what is best for your application.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com