Batteryless inverter recommendation [RE-wrenches]

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Feb 27 18:00:00 PST 2008

Joel and All,

90% of our installations are in San Francisco and many are within just a few blocks of the beach. During much of the season we have dense fog which literally drenches the solar panels and racking with moisture, especially in the wee hours of the night when it gets chilly. We commonly inspect previously installed systems and it is amazing how wet they get when it's foggy. I'm definitely concerned about corrosion so everything we install is stainless steel or aluminum with the exception of some hot dipped galvanized strut.

That said, I can't say I can see a whole lot of corrosion related issues when comparing the major inverter manufacturers. Maybe I'm missing something. Heat sinks and enclosures might corrode if they're not made of properly anodized aluminum, stainless steel, or otherwise protected. PCBs and other internal components will corrode if they are not properly coated and/or selected. Screws and other fasteners will do the same. The list goes on. We've only been installing these products for a about 3.5 years, so long term data isn't available.

Anyone out there having problems with inverter corrosion?

Now that I think of it, corrosion and material longevity in general would be a great topic to discuss on wrenches. I've heard that the coastal area of Florida has bad corrosion problems; where even good quality aluminum racking gets white and powdery. I suspect that people located in Arizona and thereabouts don't have the same issues. And furthermore, I'd think that only old-time Wrenches really know what actually happens out in the field after 5, 10, 20, or 30 years. I've seen standard zinc plated hardware rust out in less than a year....

What do y'all think?

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation
4000 Irving Street