Batteryless inverter recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Tue Feb 26 08:25:36 PST 2008

Joel,

I would recommend Fronius.

The Fronius units are the only package that I am aware of that utilize high
frequency transformation (low weight) and active cooling.

Heat is the killer of electronic over the long haul, so the active cooling
is very important.  And the fan is of course temperature controlled so it is
going to have a really long life span.

The weight is very important to me as well. With Fronius I can install 5.1kw
in a 45 lb. package. That is a major benefit over the 90 - 110 lb. packages
based on low frequency transformation (big copper xfrmr).

So I go with the only inverter that has both features in one package.  The
Xantrex has high frequency transformation and is light, but does not have
active cooling.

The folks at Fronius are looking at an 18 year MTBF for the units. Their
warranty support is very good. I have never had a problem with any I have
installed.

Also, I was very interested to see in the recent NREL article that
circulated about the need for utility disconnects, that the subject inverter
was a Fronius.  The integrated, load rated, AC and DC "disconnect" switches
provided with the Fronius were an important positive design feature that
helped support the conclusion of authors.

Get smart, go with Fronius.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
271 Vistamont Dr