Why I abuse batteries was: trojan battery cycle [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Feb 14 14:59:30 PST 2008

Jay:

The Sunny Island does do this to a large extent.
There is a daily charge profile, a longer (14 days) charge profile, and
a equalization profile (default 90 days).
These can be adjusted independently (votlage and time) and you can
schedule when charge cycles start using a timer function.
There is also a gen start based on load function that can be used to
run the generator when loads are highest.

All of this is over ridden if the battery state of charge falls too
low.
In a well designed system this normally does not occur but it will
start a generator and charge cycle if the batteries get too low.

Can you please elaborate a bit on your comment re: the efficiency of
the generator/charger ?

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> jay at asis.com 2/14/2008 09:02:59 AM >>>

Hi All,

I think this shows the need for what I have wanted for a long time,

A smart charger/inverter generator interface.

What I mean is one that you can program to battery charge to
different "levels" with adjustable intervals.

So you could do 10 cycles( adjustable) charging up to 80%, then
every 11th, it will EQ the batteries.
( or some variation of this)

Also a adjustable timer so that instead of turning on at 2pm, it will
wait until 6pm when the loads are really on. (fuzzy logic)

This is the next big advancement for those folks building inverter/
chargers to really improve the efficiency of the generator/charger.

Sure all this can be done with a smart owner operating the system,
but more and more of these systems are being run on auto we need
smarter charger programs.

thanks for listening,

jay

peltz power