Why I abuse batteries was: trojan battery cycle [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Thu Feb 14 12:45:54 PST 2008

I assume we would all agree what Specific gravity is about the most accurate
to way to determine state of charge.

So here is possibly dumb question that I've wondered about for years.

Is there such a thing as digital specific gravity meter?  IE; a probe
immersed in the electrolyte wired to a display.  There must not be else our
lives would be so much easier.  Right?  Because the next logical step is
that it would talk the the charge controller and in theory we wouldn't have
to bother with setting voltages and bulk charge times and so on.

I can see a lot of technical reasons why such a devise doesn't exist but if
we send a man to moon surely we could build such a thing....  Couldn’t it be
as easy as installing the float "thingy" that is in a standard hydrometer
with a sending unit?

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services