trojan battery cycle [RE-wrenches]

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Wed Feb 13 08:51:42 PST 2008

Hello William,

A quick note from the battery supplier side.

We've noticed, as battery banks capacity has increased, an increase in deficit cycling and an increase in the need of "corrective" equalizations.  However, a quick calculation that we've been providing, which has shown good success;

i) At bulk voltage - assume battery at 80% SOC
ii) Take 20hr rate capacity and determine AH of remaining 20% deficit.
iii) Divide AH deficit by the "average" charge current during the Absorb cycle - not an exact science I know.
iv) Provides a more accurate required absorb time - and often surprised the client when 4+ hours are required.

EQ duration can be calculated in the same fashion.

Regards,

Jamie

>>> William Miller <wrmiller at charter.net> 13/02/2008 12:27 pm >>>

Friends:

I have been monitoring a 1 year old set of IBE 85N-33 batteries in a quad
stack Outback system we installed.  With factory settings for EQ duration,
the bank EQs in 2.5 hours and leaves the specific gravity well below full
charge.  We are now setting the EQ and the absorption duration for minimum
3.0 hours for L-16 systems, and we will longer for large form batteries.

Has anyone else monitored short charge durations for the EQ and absorption
on Outback equipment?

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php