M-C branch plugs: Legal? Safe? [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Feb 4 22:18:06 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Mark:

I think the point here is that the manufacturers of grid-tie inverters have
certified and tested that their inverters can not back feed power from the
grid into the PV arrays, even in a catastrophic failure.  I belive the
manufacturers of charge controllers have not provided this certification,
ergo you must protect all battery strings with fuses.

Assuming your inspector is knowledgeable on such matters, to be allowed to
install 2 or 3 strings without fusing, you need to find a document from the
inverter manufacturer (and I believe, certified from a testing agency) that
this back feed can never happen.  My web site includes such a declaration
from Xantrex.  I can no longer find the Fronius or SMA declarations.  If
the manufacturer's representatives e-mail them to me, I can post them at:
http://mpandc.com/resources/resources.html

Deleting a fused combiner from a grid tie installation is a substantial
savings in equipment and labor, so this exception is valuable
to  understand and apply.

I hope this information helps.

William Miller

PS:  A note to Ray Walters:

When calculating string currents, you are allowed to subtract one
string.  I think this is because in a string failure, you don't need to
account for the current from that string.  Therefore, you can combine THREE
strings of Solar World modules without fusing.  Solar World modules are
unique in this regard.

WM

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php