M-C branch plugs: Legal? Safe? [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Feb 4 20:33:07 PST 2008

I am starting to be a bit interested in the discussion regarding
battery-less vs. battery.

What is the difference between having a hugh AC grid on the other side of a
transistor in an inverter and having a big battery on the other side of a
transistor in a charge controller.  Are the charge controllers so different
from the inverters that they can be expected to put current into the source
circuits? In a fault?

I don't really see how the batteries matter here.

Isn't this really about, generally, depending on the math, that when you
have three or more strings you should have individual string fusing per the
SMA white paper.

Perhaps someone could help clarify this for me.

Thanks,

MPF