Down-sizing battery systems [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 16:53:45 PST 2008

${top_text_ad}
No doubt about it, battery packs are getting smaller. Mostly because 98% of systems are grid-tied now, and for those few that elect to go with battery backup, 4 to 8 hours of runtime is fine. For the off-grid systems, as Jeff has noted, electrical loads have increased, plus, battery costs have skyrocketed, and where I used to always aim for 4-5 days of storage (@ 60% DOD), costs are often forcing me down to 2.5-3 days. I warn dealers that this is going to impact battery life expectancy, but it's a tough sell for dealers who do a battery-based system once every year or two, and really don't understand batteries at all. Hey, but on the other hand, generators are getting better, and cheaper, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
DC Power Systems

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com