Module wiring safety [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Tue Jan 22 00:28:41 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Oh Boy,
We're actually cooking up a virtual arsenal of ideas to tackle this
problem:

1) Bill's idea that ground mounts get the back of the modules blocked
or caged off. (Cattle panel to the back rails would do it?)

2) Taller Pole mounts , but we're still bumping around just  how
high. How bout a chart that puts min. height based on array voltage.
12/ 24 v goes on regular pole, 48 v goes higher, etc. At 240, we're
at 10 ft?

3) William's covers. (they're sounding better all the time)

4) glue on j-boxes with liq. tite conduit.
	a) cut connectors, splice in jboxes.
	b) keep MC connects and cover with liq tite conduit.

5) Political pressure on the Panel manufacturers to help us.

6) Someone on the list (Outback, AEE, Conergy ?) could re-brand  a
module and then modify it slightly by adding a j-box (at an
additional cost of course). Or just make it an allowable wiring
method that won't void the warranty.

Miss any body's ideas?

Ray

On Jan 21, 2008, at 10:52 PM, William Miller wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I guess there is one fundamental question (at least as I see it):
> 1. Are high voltage wires safe when not enclosed in conduit?
>
> In addition, some are asking:  2. Are PV installers being held to a
> higher standard than for other electrical installations (or at
> least, will they be under the 2008 code)?
>
> I think the obvious answers are no and no.
>
> Take a look at question 2 first:  What other electrical system can
> any of you cite that allows high voltage wire to be exposed to the
> general public and not be protected by conduit?  I can not think of
> one.  Try running a branch circuit in THHN stapled to the outside
> of your next job and see if it passes inspection.  Heck, it's not
> even allowed inside a wall.  You have to use jacketed cable and
> only for limited applications.  So, no, enclosing high voltage wire
> in conduit is not unique to the 2008 PV code.
>
> Further, if electrical installations of any type accessible by the
> general public require conduit and have for decades, why is this?
> Well I surmise that it is because high voltage electricity is
> DANGEROUS!  That answers question number 1.
>
> No, I can not cite an example of someone being killed by a PV
> system, but you can't deny it is possible, and do you want your
> system to be the first one?  I fear that the human involved will
> not be the only fatality-- so will the industry.  Envision your
> next 100 or more residential sales calls after this hits the news.
> Again, that fatality may never happen, but I can't understand the
> resistance to making damn sure it doesn't.  I'm in favor of the
> industry regulating itself, but that has to occur before the accident.
>
> Also, the era of high voltage string arrays has been with us for
> only a few years.  So if your logic is based on the statement, "No
> one has been killed yet,"  that is not logic, that's gambling.
>
> What gets me is that the bottom line here appears to be:  the
> bottom line.  Many are apparently under the impression that exposed
> wiring is significantly cheaper than protected wiring so they will
> fight tooth and nail to maintain this practice.  With module J-
> boxes and a little experimentation, we were able to do it cheaper,
> faster and better.
>
> I'm all for an industry task force to review the options, but I
> think this has happened already and the report is out-- it's in the
> 2008 code.  I suggest we not fight it but embrace it for the wisdom
> it is.
>
> William Miller
>

> -- _________________________________
> William Miller
> Miller Power and Communications
> Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
> email: wrmiller at mpandc.com
> http://mpandc.com
> License No. C-10-773985
>

> - - - -

> [...]