Evolution of the Quick connect [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Sat Jan 12 22:34:49 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

At 02:32 PM 1/12/2008, you wrote:

>When was the last time you were in central America?   Every body uses MC's
>in Europe.

Matt:

We're talking about the NEC here.  Last I checked, the NEC does not apply
in Europe or Central America.  I see no logic in the argument that wiring
is bad in Central America so why not make it bad here as well?

>My bet is that a five year old crazed enough to be attempting jungle jim
>stunts on hanging MC cables would simply pull them apart, or right out of
>the back of the module.

Actually, the failure mode is for the pin or socket to pull out of the
shell and then you've got plenty of metal for the unfortunate tyke to
connect with.  Children that like to climb any structure resembling a
jungle gym aren't crazed-- they are normal.

>  He would then need to find a nail and poke it into the connector to make
> contact, virtually as ,or less dangerous as sticking the same nail into a
> standard light socket or wall outlet. 5 amps versus 20 or greater. Do
> most parents block wall outlets or make it impossible to unscrew a light bulb?

I see little advantage to one voltage and amperage over the other.  Check
your resources-- they are both fatal.  And yes, those of us who have had
young children block receptacles and keep lamps out of reach.

Respectfully,

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php