Oddball backyard water pumping project [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 18:46:03 PST 2008

HI guys this is fun, a simple calculation should
surfice, If the solar day is over at 6:00 and we want
to pump till 10;00 then 4 hrs, x60 min x100 gallons =
24,000 gallons, but there are 7.6 gallons per cuft.
that only requires 3158 cuft.  perhaps a tank 10x10x31
feet high, on a stand 8 feet high, perhaps this would
be an eys sore, and perhaos a 56 x 56 x 1 foot deep on
8 foot legs would be easier to hide.  Then of course
we wanted to store for 3 days, I would offer that even
one twelve hour day or 10x10x100 feet, and get three
of them.  I find it amazing that a battery does not
look so bad.
Darryl

--- Kurt Albershardt <info at es-ee.com> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:43 PM -0600
> Travis Creswell <tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > With a little imagination one could come up with a
> > solar direct battery less system that used some
> relays a timer and a
> > photocell.  So at sunrise the pump turns on, at
> sun set a double throw relay
> > arrangement switches from solar to grid then at
> 10PM the system shuts of and
> > repeats the cycle at the next sunrise.
>
> If post-sunset operation is an absolute requirement,
> why not pump the water into an uphill reservoir and
> flow restrict the outflow to the wheel?  You'd need
> either a full reservoir shutoff or some kind of
> intelligent outlet gate control, but it would be
> much more efficient than using batteries.
>

> .
>

> - - - -
> Hosted by Home Power magazine

> Archive of previous messages: