Evolution of the Quick connect [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Tue Jan 8 11:57:57 PST 2008

You say tomato, I say tomahto....

As a distributor, we've been struggling with this for some time now.
Multi-Contact makes two styles of connectors, neither of which (and I'm
not making this up) have been officially named.  Their US website
describes them as Solarline 1
(http://www.multi-contact-usa.com/products/solarline/1) and Solarline 2
(http://www.multi-contact-usa.com/products/solarline/2).

However, the MC reps tell us that Solarline 1 & 2 aren't really their
names.  They prefer to call them either First vs Second Generation, or
latching vs locking.  To make things even more fun, on the other side of
the pond they go by MC3 and MC4, which is the diameter of their socket
and pin (3mm and 4mm respectively).  Now doesn't that just provide
greater clarity?  Or you can go by the catalog part numbers (PV-KBT3II
UR and PV-KST3II UR vs PV-KBT4/2.5 II and PV-KST4/2.5 II), which just
trips off the tongue.

If all this isn't entertaining enough, Tyco makes 5 different types of
plugs -- positive and a negative females, and positive, negative and
neutral males.

So why the change from First Generation/latching/Solarline 1/MC3 to the
new locking standard?  690.33(C) in the 2008 NEC states that connectors
that are readily accessible and that are used in circuits operating at
over 30 volts, nominal, maximum system voltage for dc circuits, or 30
volts for ac circuits, shall require a tool for opening.  MC (and Tyco)
make optional sheaths which snap over their locking connectors, which
then require a tool to open the connector.

However, in an apparent code conflict that I haven't yet wrapped my head
around, 2008 690.31(A) states that readily accessible conductors >30
volts shall be installed in a raceway.  (BTW, anyone have any good
suggestions how to make that work in this day of connectorized modules?)
If the connectors are accessible, then you need a tool to open the
connector.  If the circuit conductors are accessible, then you need to
use raceway.  But if you use raceway, then the connectors shouldn't be
accessible so you don't need to meet the tool requirement.

Please note new phone extension!

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Services Manager
Conergy, Inc.