[RE-wrenches] Golden Genesis question

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Nov 23 12:59:38 PST 2008

Old time Wrenches, I need a history lesson, please.

We removed a Y2K system installed by someone else, before a home was put on
the market. All equipment was resold.

The array consisted of ten Golden Genesis 12V 120W modules. Six were sold
with racks, but four went to one of our existing customers. I ordered a DP&W
pole-top rack for them.

When the time came to install them the rack didn't fit. We redrilled holes
and it all went together, but I was ready to rake DP&W over the coals until
I discovered that the mistake was mine: the terminal circuit board inside a
j-box showed that these were actually Astropower AP120s. I had assumed that
these were the common KC-120s of that time, that had been private-labeled
with Golden Genesis' name.

Golden Genesis was a Coors Brewing (of Golden, Colorado) spinoff that got
into PV for a few years around that time. My understanding is that they
bought the entire Photocomm name and distribution network, as well as played
with thin-film development for awhile (gallium arsenide?). Photocomm had
been the U.S. distributor for Kyocera for years. Eventually GG sold out to
Kyocera USA, which is what we have now.

Who can fill me in on all this? Joel?

Allan Sindelar
allan_(at)_positiveenergysolar.com <mailto:allan at positiveenergysolar.com>