[RE-wrenches] Economics of physically attatched racks on flat roof

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Wed Nov 19 13:14:33 PST 2008

Wrenches and racking pros...

I'm looking for thoughts regarding flat roof solutions.  We love the flexibility, speed and ease of ballasted solutions.  We sacrifice "perfect" or "better" tilt angle (we are typically around 35-40 north).  And most importantly, we are startting to bump into "value engineered" roofs that can't handle more than 2 lbs/SF (we will be making the live load/dead load arguements as per a previous thread, but the AHJ holds all the cards).

So- what about doing a U-LA or other fixed mounting system on a flat roof... anyone have rough costs, experice, resources to share?.  We would have to have a roofer come and "w it ch hat" all penetrations....  work on a tall lift to through bolt to steel (powder actuated Hilti from above?).  Hmmmm  I think my labor will double.  Maybe I oughta just glue down some uni-solar and call it a day...

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
Founder and CEO
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.