[RE-wrenches] truss loading

Solar Plexus solplex at montana.com
Tue Oct 28 13:25:13 PDT 2008

Hi All,

We were recently notified by our local building department that all
future building permits will require a letter from a state licensed
engineer stating the existing roof trusses are adequate for the
additional load a solar system will add.  All roofs in our area have
a 30 pound per square foot snow load requirement.  The building
departments concern is truss manufactures design the trusses to very
tight tolerances and there is no room for additional load.  Has
anyone had to address similar requirements?  Any ideas on how to
approach this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rip