[RE-wrenches] Mounting Sharp triangular modules

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 17:17:45 PDT 2008

Wrenches
I have read a couple of things, including the Sharp 142 and 72 L&R module spec sheets, that imply they should be mounted only on their SRS racking system. I can see how the triangular mods would be a lot easier to mount using the N & S edges instead of the angled sides with traditional end clamps. In fact, after taking their SRS training at the SunWize dealer conference last year, I was pretty impressed with the relative ease though the quantity of necessary parts seemed a potential problem. (We overlooked the fact that their whiz-bang, made in Germany, not-for-sale-here, $700 stud-finder would not work.)
What bugs me though is the low profile nature of the SRS. The lack of air circulation under the array is a real issue and ignores a genuine necessity in this, and other, hot climates.
I have tried to brainstorm some way to clamp on the tapered edges that will not compromise the wind lift resistance of the 42's to allow traditional railing using standoffs. I did come up with a simple fix by modifying a Unirac clamp http://www.ntrei.com/images/50%20deg.jpg but that would probably void any engineering support from those folks.
Does anyone have a well engineered workaround to offer as far as clamping on the angled sides?

now enjoying autumn....
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
4029 Aragon Drive