[RE-wrenches] Charge controllers connected to monitors

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Thu Sep 18 13:55:09 PDT 2008

Friends:

Coincidentally, I have several clients that need new charge controllers and
remote monitors but do not need new inverters.  I was wondering if I could
buy a modern MPPT charge controller from Xantrex or Outback and connect it
directly through a CAT5 cable to an XW SCP or a Mate, respectively and find
that they could communicate.

I called Xantrex and they informed me the XWMPPT60 does not provide power
for the SCP but an outboard power supply of the correct value would make
this work.

Outback claims the MX60 connected directly to the Mate and does not need a
separate power supply.

Remember, I am trying to do this without an inverter or a hub.  Has anyone
tried this?

Thanks in advance,

William Miller

PS:  I have an MX60 and a Mate.  I'll be trying this myself in the next day
or two with these items, if anyone is curious.

WM