[RE-wrenches] New Wrenches ftp server

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Sat Sep 6 13:53:36 PDT 2008

Hi again gang. If you have any questions, please contact me **off list**.

>From my last note, you may have noticed that the Wrenches have an ftp server.

We can use this for any files that need permanency. I would much rather put files here than have you send them to the entire list, since not everyone will want to receive those files. I have personally recently been guilty of enclosing files to the list that most would not need.

The only problem is that "anonymous" ftp sites are subject to abuse if not set up a certain way. Less than scrupulous hackers and file sharers search out ftp sites with full access and use the site's internet bandwidth instead of their own. This bandwidth theft could quickly expand into terragigs (I might have made that word up) which would mean megabucks for me.

So, to avoid this, we have set up an incoming folder that you can upload to, yet those files will not be visible to others after the upload. You will need to notify me that something has been uploaded, and then I can move it into a folder that is visible for downloading by others.

Something of a hassle, but without setting up a complex method of giving you all logins and passwords, I am not sure how else to do it. What this will mean is a delay between when you upload the file, and when the file is available to the rest of us. So if you announce a new file to the listserver, be sure to figure that delay into your message or when you send the announcement. If you'd like, you can pop me an off-list message that you have uploaded a file, and I will let you know when it is made visible to all.

In any case, if your software asks you for a login and password for this new site, just use the login "anonymous" and an email address for your password. Your software probably will not require this, as it should recognize that this is an anonymous ftp server.

All files are to be uploaded here:
ftp://ftp.re-wrenches.org/incoming/

Then let me know, and I will move the files to this accessible folder:
ftp://ftp.re-wrenches.org/pub/

The "pub" essentially means "public" which clues you in to who can see and download things that are put there. But, all files must be uploaded to the incoming folder, and then someone with access to the server (me) needs to move them over.

If there are a bunch of files in the same subject area, then I can make a special folder, just as I did for the 2011 NEC stuff I uploaded.

Finally, I moved the only  "current" Wrench file that was on Home Power's old ftp site to our new one. It is called panelrepair.pdf

Thanks, all.