[RE-wrenches] NABCEP succumbs to IBEW pressure?

Tump tump at hughes.net
Fri Sep 5 10:20:01 PDT 2008

Good day fellow NABCEP installers. My brother in law ,who is a member of
IBEW, was visiting from Minnesota, needless to say we have some interesting
discussions, this one for example.
 He  said that he was taking a course, taught by a NABCEP certified
installer, "to get the guys certified". We talked about the course & I
asked,"When are you taking the test you don't have the experience". His
reply was; September, & as for the hands on  experience, he told me they
have a generic grid tie system that they assemble & unassembled a few times
that "met the hands on requirements". I asked what about the time frame of
work?, to which he replied that " the instructor & the IBEW were pressuring
NABCEP to wave this requirements!.
I am aware that there is a shortage of "Properly Trained" installers but if
the above is true then once again. OUR NABCEP credentials are being watered
downed to benefit a few!
NABCEP & the teacher (contractual obligations?) profit by waving these
requirements, but the public & those of us who have HONESTLY met the
requirements LOSE!
Where is the NABCEP representative on the board? Are you involved during
these discussions?What is your response to this?
Are these board discussions involving the whole board? Perhaps this another
one of the boards secret meetings that "aren't secret"? Doesn't the board
have a responsibility to the folks who have become certified, maintaining
the acme of standards in the installation field?
Is this a discussion that was slated for the annual meeting? Hummm, the test
is in September & the annual meeting is in October.
Would someone "in the know" like to respond to this?

We already discussed the lack of "transparency of the NABCEP board" early
this year. I seem to remember being told "the Wrench list was NOT the place
to have these discussions".
When we hear about this kind of thing, from outside the NABCEP organization,
anyplace is a good place to not only question the board, but also to discuss
it!

     <mailto:Tump at hughes.net> Tump at hughes.net         <http://www.swnl.net/>
www.SWNL.net
           Solarwinds Northernlights
   Serving Mid Coast Maine & Northern California
     Me.# 207-832-7574  Cl.#  610-517-8401

      ********  MAINE'S CHARTER ********
            NABCEP    "Certified PV Installer"

      ********  MAINE'S CHARTER ********
   Trace Xantrex "Certified" Dealer / Installer"