Wire for PV plugs: 7 strand or 37 strand? [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu May 15 10:07:00 PDT 2008

Hi, Wrenchies~

I'm nearly ready to start building my own plug leads to match the new
style PV modules. Multi-Contact sells a 37 strand #10 wire...and I think
the strands are tinned.

Common #10 sunlight resistant wire has only 7 strands...fatter ones...
untinned. I would like to use up my remaining stock of 7 strand, but
only if it will work OK with the plugs. Please advise, Wrenches.

I asked Ken Jeby (sales rep for Lou Marks & Sons) about this. He said
that 7 strand works A-OK, is widely used for this, and is all that he
can readily supply. He also said that 37 strand would be more difficult
to work with...

I could switch over to 37 strand just to be on the safe side, but the
Multi-Contact material is a bit more expensive, 1000 feet per spool, and
not available in white.

Perhaps I should dust off my contact information for Anixter Wire.
Perhaps one of you could suggest a source for the fine strand material.
Or perhaps I should just stick with 7 strand and not worry about it.

Thanks as always,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com