Xanbus Network with no XW inverter? [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Sun May 11 05:49:02 PDT 2008

Salutations~

I've sent a couple of XW MPPT charge controls to Africa for use by
Christian missions.

(The very first XW control that I shipped over was DOA. That's
consistent with Abraham's Corollary to Murphy's Law: "The further a
product is shipped, the greater the chance of failure." But I
digress...)

After some major hassle with the swap, things are working OK and the
client wants a third XW controller. The installer particularly likes how
the Xantrex unit is passively cooled, so here's hoping these controls
can survive the African heat long term. "Full output current up to 45
degrees C without thermal derating" (per Xantrex literature)  sounds
promising...

The client has now asked me about the Communications Gateway:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/269/p/docs/pt/5/product.asp

The Gateway "can monitor a network consisting of up to 20 single phase
GT inverters and up to 8 XW devices: inverter(s), Charge Controller(s),
SCP, and AGS," says the spec sheet.

My customer doesn't have a Xanbus network running nor any XW inverters
to provide power for the network. If we buy the System Control Panel
plus the required external power supply (per page 2-3 of the SCP Owner's
Guide), will the Gatework work even though there is no Xantrex inverter
in this off-grid network?

Second question: How do I come up with an external power supply to run
the network, since there is no XW inverter in the system? The SCP
Owner's Guide says to "Contact Xantrex for more information,." I'm using
the Wrench List to do that, in case other technicians would like to
follow the answer from Xantrex.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com