XW generator starting [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue May 6 00:58:02 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Colleagues:

We just installed our first XW system and we are working out the bugs.  I
like many things about the XW, and I want to comment on them at length in
the very near future.  In the meantime, here is a warning:

With previous versions of the Xantrex inverters, the quiet time would not
prevent starting for batteries approaching the Low Battery Cut Out
level.  That has been changed, and it is unfortunate for this reason:  I
used the quite time to prevent the generator from  charging the batteries
at the beginning of a sunny day.  That would be a waste of investment in
solar panels and an unnecessary use of fuel.

 From the SW manual:  During quiet time, the generator starts only if the
battery voltage reaches the LBCO 30 sec start VDC setting.

 From the XW manual:  Quiet Time prevents the automatic starting of the
generator regardless of battery condition.

Also, the inverter apparently does not come with any generator volt-start
levels programmed as default.  I consider this to be a software defect.  My
customer reported this and I will verify it for myself.

William Miller

-- _________________________________
William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at mpandc.com
http://mpandc.com
License No. C-10-773985

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com