Small wind UL regulation in WA state [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri May 2 13:40:49 PDT 2008

I will post just once here about this troubling news regarding WA state,
(for now anyway) R.E. cost-raising issue just handed to me. If others
are interested, they might want to join this new'ish Topica Wind-NEC
group or read the online discussions.  (I just heard about this group
yesterday and am not validated (yet)

  Looks like this threat is real and the main document and proposed
legislation can be found here:

http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/files/WACStakeholderProposals2008.pdf

Check pages 61 - 67

The  WA L&I guy that has been causing the uproar evidently did not cite
this document or this proposed action.

Here is a link to Roy Butler's original posting that I just saw
yesterday:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/Wind-NEC/read/message.html?mid=1721445988&sort=d&start=133

... and some good advice from Ian and Kelly below.

Thanks,
boB

From: "Kelly Keilwitz,
Subject: FW: WA Wind Turbine Problem

>WA RE Professionals;
>>I thought you should know about this, even if you're marginally
>>Ian.

>We need to contact our legislators about reigning in this power play >by
>the Dept of Labor & Industries. I'm not aware of any WAC or RCW >that
>requires everything in an installation must be UL listed. Is L & >I also
>going to ask for retro-inspection on all batteries?!

>I hope that Solar Washington will provide some advocacy for us on >this.
>-Kelly

boB Gudgel K7IQ
MidNite/Magnum  Solar/Energy
Washington AC