Direct Grid Tie Ground Wire [RE-wrenches]

Erika Weliczko erika at repowersolutions.com
Wed Apr 16 10:08:32 PDT 2008

I have similar questions on the DC side about GEC, GE, equip grd. And this
also pertains to the recent thread about array equipment conductor.

Question #1:
In 690.47(D) requiring a grounding electrode for the array frame(s) or
structure there is a line about not allowing this to be a substitute for the
equipment grounding conductor. This seems to imply a #6 from some
frame/structure point to the GE. If not, then we need to run #6 from module
to module if it is exposed or as described in 690.46, which basically says
use #6 unless not exposed to damage. Is this an overkill interpretation?

Question #2: The talk in this section (690.47(D)) is about GEC and GE, so
are we performing negative bond at the array?

Question #3: Nothing stated explicitly here, but now we need to bond this GE
to the others in existence probably.

Question #4: Then what about the GFPs? If this disables the GFP which is now
required, we need to adjust the equipment ground based on 690.45 which under
most situations #8 will meet if two times the conductor ampacity is 25
or30Ax2 (assuming #10 with some temp/fill adjustment). So are we running a
EGC? Why bother if the entire array frame/structure is bonded to the GE at
the array? And are we basically installing systems with no GFP?

I'm sorry for the insane list of questions.
I think I'm going to buy a bunch of bare solid #6 the next time prices dip.

Peace,
Erika
Ohio License # 44844
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer R