broken modules [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sun Mar 2 09:20:37 PST 2008

Wrenches, I need some assistance with a peculiar problem that happened
to a system I installed this last fall. It is a roof mount at the bottom
of a ~5/12 comp roof. What happened is evidently the snow/ice caught on
the lower edge of the module frames (where the glass meets the aluminum)
and believe it or not, peeled the frame right off the bottom of one of
the modules, which left unsupported glass which then broke. The other
two modules on this three module system had the bottom edge bent out,
and no glass breakage but I do not know how to bend that back again so
they may be a lost cause. The modules were mounted in portrait mode so
the short side was subjected to this and granted, we had the snowiest
January in 40 years, but I just did not expect to see this happen.

Has anyone else seen this kind of damage occur before, and can you
suggest a solution to prevent a repeat performance? I was thinking about
two possible solutions. One is adding a piece of angle iron across the
bottoms of the three modules bolted to the edges of the modules frames
to better support the centers. The other idea was to change the mount to
a adjustable angle roof mount... set very steep for the winter with the
thought that if I can get the snow to slide rather than creep this might
do the trick, but I am not sure. This is the first time I have seen this
happen.

Thanks for the help from the other folks that work with the harsh
conditions in heavy snow country (and you coastal wrenches thought
corrosion was a problem)!

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php