Refractometers [RE-wrenches]

Nick Houser offgrid at prcn.org
Mon Feb 25 09:34:58 PST 2008

I'd like to second Jim in praise of the "Misco" brand of
refractometers for testing battery (Non-sealed) state of
charge. Mine is a model 7084 F, which was a much-appreciated gift
from a happy customer; Iv'e been using it for years to calibrate the
plastic hydrometers I give all my battery customer. This particular
customer was retired from Finning, where they don't use
anything else. Also good for testing glycol concentration, it's best
feature is that it only needs a few drops of electrolyte to
give an accurate, temp-compensater reading. Pays for itself
in workpants VERY quickly. Like my Fluke collection, it takes
the guesswork out of measurements. I've also used the somewhat
less expensive automotive versions like the "Ultra-Pro 62240)
(Napa), but though they work, they just don't resolve nearly
as well. In this as in so many other things, there's really no
substitute for the right tool. Although, if you really can't afford the
Misco, the Napa one has the redeemong factor that it CAN
be calibrated, which is not possible (necessary) with the Misco.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at re-wrenches.org