M-C tool recommendations? [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Feb 13 21:09:14 PST 2008

Hi, Wrenchers~

I resisted the urge to buy tools for Multi-Contact 3mm plug connectors.
I've just been buying pre-fab extension cords longer than needed...but
wasting a bit of wire.

Now that M-C 3mm seems to be in sunset mode, I'm happy that I held back.
My dilemma now is whether or not to buy the tools for M-C 4mm. I'm
trying to ignore the Tyco plugs...at least for now.

It seems that Multi-Contact is not the only game in town for crimping
the M-C plugs...or is it the only UL-recognized game in town? I see that
AEE Solar lists a "RENNTOOL CRIMPER FOR TYCO, MC3, MC4", but there's not
much description, no photo, etc.

If I could reduce my waste of #10 USE wire by "only a thousand feet or
so", I could cover the cost of a crimp tool. That would require the
remainder of my career as a solar small timer, but pure ROI calculations
aren't everything. Convenient, quick make up of special length plug
leads is hard to place a dollar value on. On the other hand, maybe I
should forget the tools and keep buying the extension cords...

Sorry, no more thinking aloud. I'd like to know if the "Renntool"
produces a UL compliant connector or if the Wrenchers have any other
recommendations. Feel free to reply on the List or off. I sometimes
search eBay for used/surplus M-C tools, but they're too exotic, I
suppose.

Thanks,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com