M-C branch plugs: Legal? Safe? [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Feb 4 07:50:42 PST 2008

Hi, Wrenchers~

The Multi-Contact "branch connectors" connect two PV strings in parallel
by just plugging them together. MC part numbers for these "branch plugs"
would include PV-AZS3 & PV-AZB3.

These connectors have a UL recognition mark, but they seem non-code
because there's no individual fusing for each string of modules.

Are code issues raised by this product? I'm working on something where
there are no codes, so my other question is: are safety issues raised?

Specifically, if one plug-parallels three Kyocera 135's (with, say, one
30 amp breaker to protect the trio from the 12v battery side), is that
hazardous? 30 amps exceeds the series fuse rating recommended for the
KC-135 which again seems non-code. On the other hand, if one uses 10
gauge plug leads (which are likely fine with 30 amp protection), perhaps
the worries are small.

Multi-Contact rates the branch plugs for 30 amps when 10 gauge wire is
used. If they're non-code, however, who uses them, and how?

Thanks all around,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com