AGS problems with Outback system [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Dec 5 15:43:07 PST 2007

Let me try and describe a situation with a gen start issue on a quad-stack installed by one of my customers.

First, the PV array is 6 k DC, but the installer mounted it on about a 10 degree angle - virtually useless in the Winter, but not the biggest problem. Here's what happens: The owner frequently runs the generator during the day if he thinks that the batteries are getting low and, if he does, the auto start fails to start the generator if called for during the night. He insists that this happens every time this sequence is repeated.

He also says that, even though he observes a "full" battery during the day, the batteries almost always get low enough soon after dark for the auto start to work - which it sometimes does. They report that they are unable to start the generator manually (from the Mate) without first unplugging it from the Hub if the genny has failed to start and the inverters shut down because of low voltage - always during the night.

After reading the recent posts on Mate problems, I'm wondering if this might be something similar since many trips to the site have failed to rectify the problem. I should also mention that this is the only long term gen start problem I've encountered that has gone on for so danged long!

Ideas anyone???

Matt T

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php