AGS problems with Outback system [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Dec 4 18:25:39 PST 2007

Thanks all for the help with this problem - Here are a few things I
would check and try...

1. Be sure that in the inverter's programming that the AUX OUTPUT is set
to "REMOTE" or else you can get problems exactly like described...

What happens is that the inverter tells the AUX output to turn on for
some other reason (say vent mode) then the AUX will come on until the
MATE "sees" it on and tells the inverter to turn it off... because the
AGS is enabled but the AGS thinks that the generator should be off - the
resulting situation is exactly what you described - on for a few seconds
then off - especially the part about it occurring when the AGS is set to
off or manual.  I only recently found out that this happens this way
myself...

2. How big is the relay you are using to signal the generator? If its
too large of a load then the inverter's AUX OUTPUT 12VDC power supply
may cycle the relay on and off - sort of as described (although this
doesn't answer why its happenning when the AGS is set to manual/off).

3. Some kind of problem with the generator - If the generator's AC
output goes out of spec to the inverter the AGS system will signal the
generator to stop - which will click the relay.  I would advise testing
the generator with the two signal wires jumpered together and see what
happens then.

(I always put in a toggle switch to allow this to be done - as well as
to block the gen start signal as well - just use a SPDT switch with the
one of the gen start wires to the common and one of the switch contact
to the AGS relay and the other switch contact to the other gen start
signal wire - in one switch position the gen start relay signal goes
through - in the other the generator is forced to run regardless of the
AGS system.  If you use a "center off" type switch then you can also
have a "disabled" position in the middle as well.)

Are you using a two-to-three wire adapter?  What is the model / brand of
the generator?  How many kW is it rated at?

I will think about this more tonight...

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.