DC booster pump [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 10:28:28 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Wrenches

There are two sources of noise in the Shurflo system. One is the
mechanical vibe of the machine. The other is the pulsation from the
diaphragm action. The pulsation is the serious problem because it can
often be heard all through the house through the pipes.

Howie mentions "several feet" of flex tubing and yes, that's the trick.

Even when I was selling and installing Flowlights, I used Shurflo as
an alternative in cases of silty water including rain catch systems
in dust country. I would hook one up with 3/4" clear vinyl braided
flex hose (from any hardware store) and observe by feeling with a
hand. If you have more than 6 feet of hose on the outlet, you will
feel the pulsation expanding the hose near the pump. As you move your
hand away from the pump, you feel it diminish. At somewhere around 7
feet, it's nearly gone. So I recommend minimum 7 feet of hose even if
you need to coil it up. It deadens the pipe noise almost 100%. I also
reason that it reduces back-pressure spikes against the diaphragm. I
believe this is why so many people experience short longevity while
the guys here are reporting long life.

On the intake, the amount of flex tubing doesn't seem to be critical,
so I recommend any short length of flex. Avoid sharp bend that may
collapse under suction.

The flex greatly reduces the chance of somebody breaking a fitting on
the pump! It also makes service very easy, and it helps that it's
transparent so you can see bubbles.

Down-side: Plumbing Codes in some states require rigid pipe for main
feeds and inspectors in some places (Colorado was one) wouldn't pass
the flex. I would recommend rigid, then retrofit later.

Regarding noise with the Flowlight when it starts up, that's due to
accumulated bubbles from gasses releasing from the water under
suction. That can be impossible to solve if water contains high
dissolved gasses. Little you can do except follow all the rules
outlined in the manual to minimize suction. Or use the low-speed
model. And, know when the product is simply out of its feasibility
range so you don't learn the hard way. You can download the manual
from Conergy.

I agree with those who prefer to use a soft-start AC pump for
standard home systems. DC pumps continue to fill a niche where water
use is conservative and energy efficiency is critical, and especially
where a sizable inverter is NOT part of the picture. Their positive
displacement mechanisms make them more fussy about intake conditions
however, so beware.

I still lurk on the list, but not very often. After this thread, if
you wish to count me in, you may cc. me directly at windydankoff at mac.com

Still solar pumping at my home with an early ETAPUMP in the well, and
a Solar Force Piston Pump for the pressure. In summer, I bypass the
float switch in the storage tank using a wind-up timer, and the
overflow waters a corn patch. We celebrated our fourth year of sweet
corn this summer.

Happy to lend occasional advice, before I finish forgetting ...
Windy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com