SMA Sunny Island three phase multi clustering [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Nov 29 12:20:48 PST 2007

Could it be the same reason that I went to OB instead of Xant when I
needed a large multiple inverter system...not being able to coordinate
the individual charge controllers?  OB sets a master inverter/charge
which defines the charge control functions, the other inverter/chargers
are slaved to those settings, avoiding the situation where one
inverter/charger is charging when another is inverting.

I wonder if this same level of coordination is available with the SMA,
it certainly was not available with the Xant.

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar wrote:

> SMA tells me that I can not use a common battery bank when multi
> clustering SI inverters for three-phase operation. Why is this so? How
> will the inverters know?
>
> The battery bank is 4 strings of Rolls 2YS31PS for 9720AH @ C20. The
> reason I want one bank is to have all PV power available to all
> batteries. Otherwise I must split up the PV into 4 systems. Any
> suggestions?
>
> As always, thanks to a great group of wrenches.
>
> Larry Crutcher
> Starlight Solar
> Yuma, AZ
> Renewable Energy Products Powered by STARLIGHT

Berkeley Solar Electric Systems

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com