Midnite (was inverter bypass slide) [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Nov 29 07:16:54 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Count me in as another convert to the Midnite camp.  I agree entirely with
the comments thus far, with the possible exception that I think it actually
only takes 1/3 to 1/4 the time to wire a Midnite panel vs. a Flexware
panel, once you've gone through the first couple.  Less cost to customer,
more profit for us, what's not to like?

I'm disappointed with Flexware.  At best, it's a move sideways, at worst a
move backwards.  There are some improvements, but they're pretty
minor.  Flexware takes more installer time to wire than the green boxes
did, while costing more off the shelf (even before the price
increases).  The deeper AC and DC cabinets are a negative to me - if and
when I do another Flexware system, I won't ever wire another X-240 inside
the AC enclosure.  It's just darn near impossible to reach your hands in to
access the neutral and ground busses with the X-240 in place.

We've kind of standardized on the Midnite "stretched" Outback versions -
the smaller units are a bit too tight for my tastes, and you've really got
to be careful with thinking through your on-site conduit routing and
entries in advance, since there aren't as many.  But that's fine - the
stretched versions are readily available and don't cost much more.

Not only is Robin great to work with, but if you want additional breaker
mounting brackets, additional small busbars, etc. that the distributors may
not carry, he's happy to ship out small quantities direct.  We're going to
start figuring in an additional breaker mounting plate (without the
additional bypass switch) on the opposite side in our Midnite costs, so
that we keep the DC breakers on the same side as the MX60.  Makes for a
much easier to understand layout for the customer, and keeps the DC and AC
internal wiring further separated.  If you've got a stock of the old
ODBC-style (Airpax) breakers, which Midnite doesn't use standard, he's got
mounting plates for them as well.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I sold more Outback systems this year because of
Midnite.  A Midnite package will get Outback inverters in lots more places
(both physically and cost-wise) for the reasons already stated.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com