Sunny Island Retrofit [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Nov 9 01:24:26 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

August,

I'd recommend using a transfer switch that would keep the critical
loads panel on the grid, until the grid goes down.  That way the
critical loads aren't limited by the settings on the SI when grid is
available.  We are looking at a Briggs and Stratton transfer switch
for $700 + change.

For a device that will show when the grid goes down, you can set up a
relay, where the N/C contacts are kept open by a grid connection to
the coil, when the grid is up.  When the grid fails, the N/C contact
closes, and a light goes on.  The contacts are fed by the protected
loads source, so power is always available.

How much power can you run through your Outback auto
transformer?  The ones I've used only allow 25 amps at 120 V, or 3000
watts.  If most of the loads can run straight from the inverter,
bypassing the autotransformer, you might be ok.  A second SI might
not be a bad idea.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php