california licensing [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Sat Nov 3 21:18:44 PDT 2007

Conrad,

Contractors Licenses in CA are administered by the Contractors State License
Board. CSLB for short.  www.cslb.ca.gov  The list of classifications is
found at:
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/General-Information/library/licensing-classifications
.asp Click on any classification to see the work permitted under that
classification.

California's classification system is broken into 3 types.  A, B, & C.

"A" license is for General Engineering. This license basically is allowed to
do any type of work whatsoever.  Not generally used for small stuff.

"B" license is for General Building. This license allows the holder to
superintend & subcontract to other licensees & specialties. It also allows
the holder to actually "do the work" on projects that require two or more
unrelated trades.

"C" licenses are Specialty Classification.

C46 Solar is probably what sets California's solar industry apart from most
states. California is fortunate to have the C46 which allows a contractor to
do all aspects of PV & Thermal work.

C10 Electrical is permitted to do all aspects of a PV system.

C36 Plumbing is permitted to do all aspects of a Solar Hot Water System, but
not Solar Hot Air.

C53 Swimming Pool is permitted to do all aspects of Solar heating for pools
and hot tubs.

C20 Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) is permitted
to do all aspects of Solar Hot Air work.

Any CA customer who wants to have a Solar Thermal or PV system installed has
at least two options for specialty contractors to choose from.

Pray for Sun!

Matt Lafferty