Lightning Arrestors? [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison reellison at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 06:56:48 PDT 2007

I service a 20 K Jacobs that I inherited that has a hell of a time
with lightning. It has the factory suppressors on the alternator and
LA's on the inverter and still gets hit every couple years. The tower
and inverter are well grounded but I don't think there is a bond
between the tower and the inverter to tie it all together. I also
think it is coming in from the grid side but the factory is going to
examine the boards to see if they can find a clue. There is a HUGE
transformer on the other side of the wall (located outside) that drops
the 3 ph grid power for the building from whatever it comes in off the
grid at (5500 volts?) . I think it is part of the problem as the main
AC breaker is always tripped when this happens.
This system uses a buck boost transformer to connect the single phase
turbine output to 3 ph for the breaker box. The first time it happened
it turned the transformer to a hunk of molten, dripping tar.

Lightning is always "fun".

Best,
Bob