Lightning Arrestors? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 14:44:44 PDT 2007

Yes you are correct, but the lightning arrestor must
be connected to a grounding system.  A supplemental
ground rod for the frames and structure is always good
practice, BUT the question is the current carrying
conductors and you certainaly cannot ground both! but
and sometimes you can not ground either.  When you can
not ground either, then a lightning arrestor is the
way you protect these conductors and equipment.  Yes I
have seen lightning damage without a lightning
arrestor, and I have seen lightning arrestors "blown
up", but in my 55 years as an electrician I have never
seen lightning damage and a lighning arrestor properly
installed still functioning.  but I have not seen a
lot of lightning damage, as most of my work is in east
central minnesota and lightning strikes are far less
than western mn or other parts of the country.
Darryl

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com