Quick-Connects - The good, the bad and the ugly [RE-wrenches]

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Sun Sep 30 11:27:42 PDT 2007

I'll chime in a bit...

First off, I think that it is critical that PV manufacturers stick to one standard. It is difficult as an installer to stock different types of connectors, tools, and wire.

We've been using MC2 connectors for years without incident. I've talked with many inspectors about theses connectors and from time to time it appears that they've seen circuits opening because people didn't properly tie up the wires properly. As a standard procedure we wrap MC2 connectors with electrical tape just at a) confirm that we've made a permanent connection and b) aid to seal out any tiny bit of moisture. I think that it is mainly important to completely and firmly connect the connectors and then tie them up really well. We never allow a connector to hang in free air.

I've been specifying a few new jobs with Day4 panels which use the Tyco connectors. I like these connectors because they have a positive locking "click together" feature. This reminds me of many automotive connectors. Once they're connected they won't come apart unless someone purposely removes them.

I can't compare the assembly process for these connectors because I haven't yet had a chance to try.

Regardless of what connector becomes industry standard I sure hope that everyone can agree to one standard...

-August

Luminalt Energy, San Francisco